It’s a good habit to attempt a puzzle every so often to keep the grey matter working well. Here are our brainteasers to keep your mind as fit as a fiddle.
- How many f’s are there in the following sentence?
“Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years.”
- What is the next number in this sequence 4, 9, 16, 25, ?
- What can you see once in a minute, twice in a moment but never in a thousand years?
- My house is the fourth house away from one end of the street and the ninth house away from the other end of the street. How many houses are in the street?
- A plane flew over the German, Austrian border; ran into turbulence and crashed on the border killing 50 people. An argument broke out over which country had jurisdiction. In which country did they bury the survivors?
- If A+B=C and C+1=A x (B+B) what is the lowest whole number that A can be?
- You have to go through one of 3 doors in front of you. Behind door A is a violent gunman, behind door B is a raging fire, behind door C is a Lion which hasn’t eaten in a year. Which door do you go through?
- What is next in the sequence: I, V, IX, ?
- Alpha is to Omega as Psi is to ?
- Given that the chemical symbol for Helium is He and Argon is Ar, what is the chemical symbol for Tin?
- A blind beggar had a brother who died. What relation was the blind beggar to the brother who died? “Brother” is not the answer.
- Most vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
- One snowy night, the famous detective Sherlock, was in his house sitting by the fire. All of a sudden a snowball came crashing through his window and broke it. Holmes got up and looked out the window just in time to see 3 neighborhood kids who were brothers run around a corner. Their names were John Crimson, Mark Crimson, and Paul Crimson. The next day Holmes got a note that read: “? Crimson. He broke your window.”
Which of the 3 Crimson brothers should Sherlock Holmes question about the incident?
- Name the one vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
- There are 5 sisters in a room. Kate is doing the laundry, Mary is playing chess, Jane is reading, and Ann is wring a letter. What is the 5th sister doing?
- A detective is called to a murder scene. There are 3 possible suspects: Jack Green, the son and the heir, John Jacobson, an employee and June Green, the victim’s wife. The victim has left a note reading:
“First of January, Fourth of October, Fifth of March, Third of June.”
Who does the detective arrest?
- 4 – Finished, files, of, scientific – a lot of people get this wrong as they overlook the f in of.
- 36 – the sequence is 22 , 32, 42,52, 62
- The letter m
- Neither country – they don’t bury survivors!
- 1 (if B=2 and C=3)
- Door C – Lions can only survive a couple of weeks without eating food
- XIII – Roman numerals going up by 4 each time
- Beta – Psi is the second to last letter and Beta the second letter in the Greek alphabet
- Sn – from the latin name stannum – Ti is the symbol for Titanium
- Rhubarb and Asparagus
- Mark Crimson – the letter could be read as “Question mark Crimson”
- Playing chess with Mary
- John Jacobson, the note refers to the letter specified in each month